About Pondicherry

Kottakuppam is a beautiful village situated in the coastal area near the union territory of Pondicherry. Normally it is the part of tamilnadu, but people living here depends upon the pondicherry for all essential purpose like education, medical, transports, employment, buisness etc., So we are in need to explain about Pondicherry.

A wondrous history of this place is told by obliging Pondicherrians. As well as the striking grid-like street planning, buildings and monuments. About the arrival of the European maritime powers of the 16th century -the Portuguese, the Dutch, the Danes, the English and importantly, the French, setting foot first in 1670. About the transformation of a tiny fishing village into a grand port city by the 18th century. About fierce Anglo-French battles. Ravages. And sieges. About brave generals. Friendly maharajas. And even, philanthropic courtesans. And about an undisturbed French rule for 138 years till 1954.

Park Monuments (Aayi Mandapam)

The most beautiful public space in town is the green and shaded GovernmentPark, in the heart of Pondicherry. Standing smack in its centre is Aayi Mandapam. Built in Greco-Roman architecture, unsinfully white, during the reign of Napoleon III- Emperor of France.
It bears the name of Aayi -a 16th century courtesan. Who razed down her home and replaced it with a reservoir. To appease a passing king, angry at having mistaken her candle-lit residence for a holy place. It was from this lake that Napoleon`s men quenched their thirst, some 300 years later. Napoleon, charmed by the story, ordered a monument to Aayi.

Arikamedu

A historical site, 4 kms south of Pondicherry, which revealed local trade with Romans as early as 2nd century B.C. Some even believe Roman settlements existed. Wine seems to have been a major import as excavated amphora jars suggest. In return, textiles, precious stones and shell-jewellery left these shores.Moreover, you`ll still find the amazing ruins of an 18th century French Jesuit Mission House here. It was abandoned in 1783.

Ananda Ranga Pillai Mansion

Ananda Ranga Pillai was the celebrated dubash of Dupleix, the governor ofPondicherry while it flourished under French glory. Pillai`s compilation of diaries serve as a storehouse of information on 18th century French India. His mansion, completed sometime in 1738, is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the west side- then known as “natives` quarters.” Its architecture represents a curious mix of French and Indian styles.

The Statue of Dupleix

This is Pondicherry`s tribute to Francois Dupe ix whose able governorship came to an end in 1754. However, French recognition came about a century later, when, in 1870, they paid homage by commissioning two statues -one in France and the other in Pondicherry. The 2.88 m tall structure was erected over six carved ornamental granite pillars at the Place du Republique. It now stands restationed overlooking a children`s park at the southern end of the promenade, now named Goubert Avenue.

Place Du Gouvernement

The Place Du Gouvernement is a brilliant example of town planning inPondicherry. Comprising the 18th century Palais Du Gouvernement -now the Raj Nivas (not open to the public) -and the old tribunals -now housing the Legislative Assembly -along with a neat three-sided line-up of other handsome buildings. At the centre, surrounded by a well-tended garden, stands the Water Monument, sculpted to commemorate the introduction of good drinking water for the population. Latin and Tamil inscriptions bear out the story. Some exquisitely carved monolithic pillars, brought to Pondicherry from the Gingee Fort after its capture in 1751 , adorn the place.

19th Century Light House

The early sea-farers to Pondicherry were guided by a beacon kept burning on the Red Hills (Gorimedu), about 5 kms west of the town. The now-abandoned light house standing on the edge of the sea near the Place Du Gouvernement was lighted for the first time on 1 July, 1836. The light was placed upon a masonry tower, 29 m above sea level and was visible upto a distance of 29 kms into the sea. In 1931, the fixed light was replaced by a revolving lantern. It fell into disuse with the commissioning of the new light house in 1979.

French War Memorial

No visit to Pondicherry is complete without a free-wheeling stroll down the peaceful promenade -Goubert Avenue (`Beach Road`, locally speaking) .Where you`ll find this elegant tribute to the uniform. It gets prettily illuminated during a solemn ceremony every 14 July, Bastille Day.

The Statue of Joan of Arc

A lasting, triumphant image of the heroic French damsel Jeanne d` Arc, is frozen in marble, within the garden laid out in front of L` Eglise de Notre Dame des Anges.

Churches

French missionary zeal in the 17th and 18th centuries saw a number of imposing churches built here. The Eglise de Sacre Coeur de Jesus, situated on the south boulevard, stands out as an oriental specimen of Gothic splendour. It contains rare and beautiful stained glass panels depicting events from the life of Christ. The Eglise de Notre Dame de la Conception Immaculee, on Cathedral Street, was first built in 1692. It took its present shape in 1791.

The Eglise de Notre Dame des Anges, in Rue Dumas, is notable for its masonry -which uses the finest of limestone mixed with white of the egg -making for a texture identical to that of white marble. It is modelled on the Basilica at Lourdes, in southern France.

The Pondicherry Museum

On the ground floor, the major attraction is the central space with 3 curious transport mechanisms -a coach, a palanquin (sedan chair) and a pousse-pousse which required two attendants, one to steer and one to push. The bronze gallery displays the images of gods and goddesses together with a wide collection of temple lamps; used across different dynasties down centuries.

Pre-Christian relics which you will find here, such as remnants` of Greek and Roman amphora jars, pieces from the Tsung Periods in China and beads made from glass and precious stones were dug out from the Arikamedu site, just south of Pondicherry.

The French Cemetery at Karaikal

For a look-see into a veritable who`s who of 19th century Karaikal, wander through the French cemetery on Rue de Marche (Market Street). Administrators, landlords, port officials, women and children lie buried under curious headstones with interest-evoking inscriptions. You will also find an aged, tiny chapel within the walls.

Official languages of Pondicherry government

The official languages of Pondicherry are TamilTeluguMalayalam and French. The status of each language varies with respect to each district. When communicating between districts of different languages, generally English is used for convenience.

1.Tamil: Language used by the people in the Tamil majority districts of Pondicherry andKarikal. Also the official language in Tamil Nadu state and a co-official language of Sri Lankaand Singapore. The language is also spoken in Malaysia and Mauritius.

2. Telugu: Another official language of Pondicherry, but used more within Yanam (Telugu district). So, more correctly, it is considered a regional official language of Pondicherry while being the official language of Yanam District. It also has an official language status in the state of Andhra Pradesh. And is spoken widely in Pondicherry and Karaikal also.

3. Malayalam: Another official language of Pondicherry, but used more within Mahé(Malayalam district). So, more correctly, it is considered a regional official language of Pondicherry while being the official language of Mahé District. It also has an official language status in Kerala State and Lakshadweep Islands Union Territory.

4. French: Also the official language of Pondicherry Union territory. It was the official language of French India (1673-1954) and its official language status was preserved by theTreaty of Cession signed by India and France on 28 May 1956.

FREEDOM PONDICHERRY
The independence of India in August 1947 gave impetus to the union of France’s Indian possessions with former British India. The lodges in Machilipatnam, Kozhikode and Surat were ceded to India in October 1947. An agreement between France and India in 1948 agreed to an election in France’s remaining Indian possessions to choose their political future. Governance of Chandernagore was ceded to India on 2 May 1950, and was merged with West Bengal state on 2 October 1955.

On November 1, 1954, after long years of freedom struggle the four enclaves of Pondicherry, Yanam, Mahe, and Karikal were de facto transferred to the Indian Union and became the Union Territory of Pondicherry. The de jure union of French India with India did not take place until 1963, when the French Parliament in Paris ratified the treaty with India.

pondicherry park

building paints

Gandhi statue